Monday 11 July 2016

PaperArtsy 2 UP challenge Monday July 10th

So, I applied to take part in Paper Artsy's 2UP challenge, and I got selected (aargh). I would be using Paper Artsy Infusions and Ink & the Dog stamps (what was I thinking). So PANIC. I loved infusions and had done a journal page using them after viewing this You Tube video by Vicky Papaioannou. 

 But this was all I had done and having never done a design piece before, the pressure was well and truly on. I didn't think I would be able to find the time to do this, but we had a fairly decent lead time, so I started experimenting with Infusions to see what I could do with them.



These are all my experiments, I tried it with everything, water (of course), gel medium, paint, crackle glaze (didn't work), metallic glaze, pearl glaze. I loved the effect on the paper towel from mopping up and using it over white embossing. Using it in paint was great for a varied effect and could be built upon with a wash of infusions on top when dry as well. Such a versatile product.



My most successful experiment, was this tag, I used the Tim Holtz DI pick-up effect with the Infusions and water, and added more layers until I was happy. I loved the dots of colours and the blue river of colour. I then used some background stamps from Words 4 and Man of Numbers 6 to gold emboss around the edges. I liked the richness this added, I then looked at adding various images to the tag. So I'd found my look, now to apply it to something else.


   


I started with a Slide Mailer and base coated it in white acrylic paint using a Catalyst scraper which gives a nice smooth finish. I then placed my Dutch Doobadoo mask on top, sprinkled infusions in Blackcurrant & Jade (love this colour combo), sprayed with water and removed the mask (oooops) it leaked underneath, but I quite liked the happy accident and decided to go with it.

 

After drying, as I loved the shape on the on the mask so much, I decided to highlight it by adding some Paper Artsy Grunge Paste through the mask in a random swipes, once dry I stamped in versamark using Word Plate 3 and Man of Number Plate 6 and then heat embossed in gold around the edges. Even though the Grunge Paste had picked up some colour from the layers below, I used Treasure Gold in White Gold & Aquamarine to highlight the shapes and to blend in with the background.


   


I loved the way the treasure gold changed the heat embossing on top of the Grunge Paste.

 

Once my outside cover was done I played with ideas on how to decorate it using stamps ribbon and metal trinkets. I used Mystery Plate 3 from Ink & the Dog  stamped in Staz-on on some cotton, I then trimmed the cotton down and frayed it on all sides, the metal coins I altered using Treasure Gold to match the colour scheme, and I found this beautiful ribbon in my stash, I tried various options before deciding on the final placement of these items.


 

Moving inside, I used white acrylic paint and blackcurrant and jade infusions to create a background, when this was dry I dry brushed a mixture of infusions and water to create depth and contrast. I used a wet wipe to remove some colour through the mask and added colour elsewhere.  The insets were painted in a mix of gel medium and infusions, but after much umming and aahing, I decided to cut up my original tag and place these in the inserts instead

 


Now I knew what image I wanted to use from Wings Plate 3, so I created a background to stamp on using white acrylic paint and infusions, I painted it horizontally to contrast with the vertical strokes on the mailer


I then stamped in Rangers Archival Ink on the background and using various bits of paper from my experiments, I paper pieced the wings and pedestal.  Stamped the word Illusion (didn't realise until I had finished, how close it is to infusions!!!, I should have tried to manipulate it, oh well hindsight is a great thing) on fabric


I also stamped some images from Mystery Plate 3 onto fabric and then played with arrangements before sticking down. The mobile comes in handy for this as I take pictures of each version so I can look at them together and choose which one I want to use.


 

 


So here it is my finished project, I am very proud of it and hope you like it too.





A view of my desk at the end of this challenge


and the products I used



Thank you very much Leandra & Darcy for giving me this opportunity, I enjoyed it so much and loved stretching myself to create an original piece.


I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and about my journey and most of all I hope you like my piece.  I just ask that you please leave me a comment letting me now what you thought.

13 comments:

Darcy Marshall said...

Fantastic Siobhan! i love all your experiments looks like you had a lot of fun and great that you stretched yourself and have had a great experience. Fab project with so many interesting bits to it.

Caz said...

Great project!
Loved seeing all your practice pieces as well to show how you developed your project/ideas
:-)

PaperArtsy said...

Hahahaha you're a mess girl!! Look at that desk!!! Awesome experiments, and what an amazing array of results in the process! So glad we could see what goes on inside that head of yours! LOL ~Leandra

geezercrafter said...

Fantastic project, glad you put the experiments on your post, great idea. We all had fun with the infusions!!

craftimamma said...

What a brilliant project Siobhan! Love the colour combo you used and you got some fab results from your experiments. Stunning contribution to the blog tonight.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Helen said...

fantastic project!

rachel said...

absolutely brilliant Siobhan ... I am fairly new to infusions - and your experiments are a complete inspirations! Fabulous! Hugs rachel x

Artmadnana said...

Gosh this is such a brilliant write up. I have really enjoyed reading through your post. You have definitely learned a lot through your experiments and to you final, gorgeous projects. I really love the idea of posting a photo of everything you used at the end. What a helpful idea. Well done Siobhsn. This is a beautiful result.

Unknown said...

Great post teamie, well done you, great project
Happy craftin
rebecca

Etsuko said...

What a fantastic project!! Fabulous the infusions and grange pate effect. And so lovely finished. xx

Alison said...

Really loved your project Siobhan...my favourite! Great tutorial too!
Alison xx

Unknown said...

Awesome! :)

Clare said...

Your project is absolutely stunning. Hugs Clare X X X